The Constitution and the Equality Act are the main bodies of legislation in Finland that rule on matters of equality between women and men.
The main stipulations of the Equality Act concern
- the obligations of authorities on promoting equality in all their activities,
- quotas in national and municipal organs,
- the obligations of employers and educational institutions, such as through the use of equality plans,
- prohibition of discrimination,
- prohibition of sexual harassment or gender based harassment
- compensation in cases of harassment and discrimination.
Legislation is monitored by the Ombudsman for Equality and the Equality Board.